African Women in the Media (AWiM), is a network for African women working in media industries anywhere in the world.
AWiM is looking for four women who have recently graduated from a media-related course within the last two years to be part of our Graduate Trainee Programme. As an AWiM Media Graduate Trainee, you will experience a challenging 8-month development programme taking you through a comprehensive rotation of critical divisions of our work at AWiM. Your time on the AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Programme will therefore consist of two focal areas:
- You will get editorial coaching to produce gender angle stories and develop stories for bylines on AWiMNews.
- You will spend two months each in four critical areas of our work at AWiM. This will provide you with transferable skills to help you succeed in an organisation.
Successful applicants would have graduated from a media-related course within the last two years. They should demonstrate a passion for journalism and women’s rights
- Embarking on an 8-month development programme designed to accelerate you through an increasingly steep learning curve.
- Participating in a rotational scheme that introduces you to some of our essential functions and colleagues.
- Taking on real responsibilities to apply new skills in a supportive environment.
- Participating in a mentorship programme delivered by experienced professionals.
Don’t worry if you don’t have an extensive CV. AWiM is looking for women at the start of their career, who are below 26 years of age and have:
- A passion for journalism, adaptability, resilience, good judgement
- A Degree or postgraduate qualification
- Good grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
- Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with colleagues, and management
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Good time management skills, including prioritising, scheduling, and adapting as necessary
- Proficiency with computers, especially writing programs, such as Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- A passion for understanding the world and getting to the facts
- Original and creative ideas for ways to reach new audiences
- Ability to regularly read, watch and listen to news across all platforms
Working Condition: Position is home-based
Start Date: May 01, 2022
Position Type: Fixed Term (May – December 2022)
Number of Position: 4 (Four)
- A monthly stipend of $450
- Developing your journalistic skills, researching and writing.
- A chance to get training in different sections of AWiM
- Networking opportunities.
- Opportunity to learn and grow your community engagement skills in an upcoming respected brand called AWiM.
- Opportunity to work remotely.
- A chance to enrich your knowledge on media issues related to women in the industry.
- Professional teaching and mentoring by industry professionals
- Access to AWiMlearning platform, which hosts a range of courses.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should send in a folder all documents listed below to [email protected] (Use the subject line ‘Graduate Trainee’) no later than April 5, 2022. The interview date will be April 18, 2022.
- Cover letter, no more than two pages, articulating
- Why media women capacity building is essential for gender equality in the media industry across Africa
- What interests you about this graduate trainee programme?
- What you bring to and hope to gain from AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Programme.
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
- Copy of degree certificate
- Copy of academic transcript
- Proof of age
For More Information:
Leave a Comment