“Megatrends Afrika: Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, a new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), is awarding three (3) fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (PhD completion in 2017 or later).
- Fellows are encouraged to conduct a research project independently but might collaborate with team members as well as other SWP, DIE and IfW colleagues.
- Fellows are encouraged to contribute at least one paper to the project’s publication series.
- The working language of the Megatrends Afrika-team is English.
- Publications will be accepted in English or German, but the submission of a publication in French is also possible.
Fellowships will be granted for a period of up to three (3) months between September 1st and December 31st 2022. For the duration of the fellowship, fellows are expected to reside in the city of the respective institute in Berlin, Bonn or Kiel. Fellows will receive a monthly grant of € 2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
Method of Application
All applications must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- A cover letter (one page);
- A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
- A written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not to exceed two (2) pages or 1000 words);
- This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
Following the review of written applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview. In choosing applicants, the jury will put particular emphasis on the following criteria:
- Academic and professional merit based on the applicant’s publications and work experience;
- Academic and political relevance of the applicant’s project to the relevant research fields;
- Coherence and feasibility of the applicant’s project;
- Candidates’ ability to communicate effectively and make complex ideas accessible to a broad audience.
Please send your application by email to [email protected]. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
Application Deadline: 22 June 2022, 11:59 p.m. CEST.
For More Information: