The Julius Nyerere Scholarship was set up in 2009 in memory of Mwalimu Julius Nyerere who led Tanganyika to independence in 1961 and became the first prime minister and later president of Tanzania. Nyerere received a scholarship in 1949 to attend the University of Edinburgh where he obtained a Masters of Arts degree that saw him study courses in English, Political Economy, Social Anthropology, British History, Economic History, Constitutional Law, and Moral Philosophy.
Value of Award
The scholarship will cover Tuition Fees and an annual stipend of £13,500.
The annual stipend will be paid in quarterly instalments following full matriculation. Payments are made in September and December 2023, and March and June 2024.
Awards are made for one year only.
The award cannot be held alongside any other scholarship funding.
- Julius Nyerere Masters Scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence. Candidates must have, or expect to obtain, the equivalent of a UK first class or 2.1 Honours degree at undergraduate level in a Humanities or Social Science subject.
- Candidates must submit a Personal Statement for the scholarship application which should clearly state why you are applying for this scholarship, along with your experience and aspirations in the field of Africa and International Development.
- Candidates must also arrange for two referees to submit reference letters supporting their application.
- Please note: The Nyerere Scholarship cannot be held alongside any other scholarship funding.
The CAS Selection Panel will meet in June to review the scholarship applications. All scholarship applicants will be contacted with the outcome in June 2023.
Method of Application
In order to gain access to the scholarship application system, applicants must have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh. Please note that, following the submission of an application for admission, it can take up to ten working days for all system checks to be completed and for access to be granted.
- Eligible applicants will complete an online scholarship application.
- Information on how to apply will follow shortly
For more information, visit University of Edinburgh website