The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program is pleased to offer Postgraduate student who wish to enroll or study in Canada an award value of $50,000 per year per awardee for three years during doctoral studies. The program considers three criteria: Academic Excellence, Research Potential, and Leadership.
In 2008, The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program. The objective of those program is to be able to produce a global center of excellence in research and higher learning and also produce world-class doctoral students.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): The Government of Canada.
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships
Name of Institution(s): Universities/institutions in Canada.
Award Worth: $50,000 per year for 3 years
Number of Scholarship: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually
Study level: Postgraduate (doctoral)
Subject Eligibility: See eligible Areas of Research (below).
Nationality: All Nationalities
For this scholarship program Selection Criteria for the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is based on:
- Academic Excellence
- Research Potential
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability)
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Areas of research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
More eligibility information available: https://vanier.gc.ca/en/eligibility-admissibilite.html
Applicants who are interested in this award must be nominated by a Canadian institution with a quota (i.e., a predetermined number of applications that can be put forward to the national competition) to host Vanier scholars. Applicants should only seek a nomination from the institution at which they want to study. Interested applicants should visit Check how to be nominated.
- July – November 2023: Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit application package.
- Internal Deadline (varies): Deadline to submit application to the nominating institution. Contact nominating institution for specific date.
- November 1, 2023 (20:00 EST): Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.
- November 2023 – March 2024: Review and evaluation of nominations.
- Early April 2024: Anticipated notification of results. Nominees will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.