The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) invites applications from emerging African creative writers for its Inaugural Writers’ Workshop.
From June 2 to June 29, 2022, JIAS will host a group of promising African creative writers. The workshop will be a writing-intensive, four-week program for early-career writers who have a current work in progress that they would like to complete or polish. Each writer will focus on her/his/their individual work as well as read others’ work and provide feedback. Writers will greatly benefit from the supportive structure that a writers’ workshop creates.
- The JIAS Writers’ Workshop is open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting and Poetry.
- Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically-acclaimed and award-winning writers.
- This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft.
- Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
There is no application fee and participation in the workshop is free.
Each Writers’ Workshop Participant will receive:
- Accommodation at JIAS’ private residence
- Daily meals
- An intensive and immersive creative experience
- Mentorship from an established and accomplished writer
To apply please submit the following required materials before February 1, 2022.
- A copy of your passport ID page
- One-page project proposal
- Writing Sample: Playwriting and Screenwriting (First 10 Pages of Script); Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction (5-10 Pages); Poetry (3-5 Poems)
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022.
For More Information: