This year, the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is offering SIX awards. FOUR for MSc Public Health for Eye Care programme and TWO for MSc Public Health for Development programme.
This scholarship opportunity is created for candidates from least developed and lower-middle-income Commonwealth countries, for full-time Master’s study on selected courses, jointly supported by UK universities.
Eligibility: Applicant must
- Applicants must be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country*, or be a British Protected Person.
- Applicants must be permanently and continually resident in an eligible Commonwealth country*.
- Applicants must be available to start their academic studies in the UK at the start of the 2022-23 academic year (September 2022).
- Applicants must hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a lower second class level (2:2) plus a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree) by September 2022. CSC cannot accept work experience in lieu of this minimum academic qualification. Neither will CSC fund a second UK Master’s degree, unless suitable justification for this is submitted. Please do not apply unless you meet the CSC minimum requirements.
- Applicants must be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue their proposed course of study and meet LSHTM’s English language proficiency requirements.
- Applicants must not have studied for one academic year or more in a high-income country (for CSC purposes this is classified as a country which does not appear on the DAC list of ODA recipients).
- Applicants must not have worked for one year or more in a high-income country (for CSC purposes this is classified as a country which does not appear on the DAC list of ODA recipients).
- Applicants must confirm that neither they nor their families would otherwise be able to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Applicants must commit to return to their home country within one month of the end of the end of their award.
- Applicants must supply all supporting documentation in the required format.
Eligible Commonwealth countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuata, Zambia.
Applicants should note that preference will be given to applicants from The Gambia and Uganda for the selection and recruitment of these scholarship awards.
To Be Taken At (Country): UK
Number of Awards: 6
Value of LSHTM Commonwealth Shared Scholarships: Each scholarship award will provide:
- MSc tuition fees (at the overseas fee rate)
- CSCUK-approved airfare from the student’s home country to the United Kingdom, and return home at the end of the award
- GBP 1,390.00 monthly maintenance stipend
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- Reimbursement of mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test fees, when required for a visa application, at a pre-determined amount set by the CSC
- Grants to contribute towards study-related costs (thesis grant and study travel grant)
- Excess baggage allowance for return home up to the specific rate as set by the CSC
- Disability Support Allowance for personal living costs (if eligible)
- For Scholars who are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of GBP 485.00 per month for the first child, and GBP 120.00 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if the children accompany the student and are living with them at the same address in the UK.
Method of Application: To apply for these fundings, applicants must:
MSc Public Health for Eye Care programme
- Submit a complete application for study for 2022-23 MSc Public Health for Eye Care.
- Submit a complete CSSS application for funding via the CSC’s online application system.
MSc Public Health for Development programme
- Submit a complete application for study for 2022-23 MSc Public Health for Development
- Submit a complete CSS application for funding via the CSC’s online application system.
Application Deadline: 20th December 2021.