We are seeking a skilled and passionate Retail Specialty Foods Baker to join our team. As a Retail Specialty Foods Baker, you will be responsible for crafting and producing a variety of baked goods and specialty food items to delight our customers. You will follow recipes, select high-quality ingredients, and use your expertise to create visually appealing and delicious products. Your creativity, attention to detail, and passion for artisanal food will contribute to the success of our retail specialty food business.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
3 years to less than 5 years
- Bake shop
- In shop
- Relocation costs not covered by employer
- Prepare and bake a variety of specialty baked goods, such as bread, pastries, cakes, cookies, and artisanal chocolates.
- Follow established recipes and guidelines to ensure consistency and quality in every product.
- Select and measure ingredients accurately to achieve the desired taste and texture.
- Operate and maintain baking equipment and machinery.
- Decorate and present baked goods in an appealing and artistic manner.
- Stay updated with current industry trends and incorporate new techniques or flavors into product offerings.
- Collaborate with the team to develop new recipes and adapt existing ones to meet customer demands or dietary restrictions.
- Ensure compliance with food safety and sanitation regulations.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Provide excellent customer service and answer any questions related to products.
- Proven experience as a baker, preferably in a retail or specialty foods setting.
- Strong knowledge of baking techniques, measurements, and ingredients.
- Creativity and an eye for aesthetics to create visually appealing products.
- Ability to follow recipes accurately and consistently.
- Knowledge of food safety and hygiene practices.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail and a passion for delivering high-quality products.
- Flexibility to work early mornings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Physical stamina to stand for extended periods and lift heavy trays or equipment.
- Effective communication and teamwork skills.
- Prepare dough for pies, bread, rolls and sweet goods, batters for muffins, cookies and cakes and icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Requisition or order materials, equipment and supplies
- Bake mixed dough and batters
- Prepare special orders
- Frost and decorate cakes and baked goods
- Ensure that the quality of products meets established standards
- Inspect kitchen and food service areas
- Operate machinery
- Organize and maintain inventory
- Prepare dishes for customers with food allergies or intolerances
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Baker Trade Certification
Experience and specialization
- Breads and rolls
- Desserts and pastries
- Donuts and muffins
- Cake decorating
Security and safety
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Fast-paced environment
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Handling heavy loads
- Manual dexterity
- Physically demanding
- Repetitive tasks
- Standing for extended periods
- Client focus
- Team player
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
- Vision care benefits
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Life insurance
- Long-term care insurance
- Other benefits
- Free parking available
- Travel insurance
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about Specialty foods baker – retail :
What is a retail specialty foods baker?
A retail specialty foods baker is a skilled professional who specializes in baking and creating unique and high-quality food products, often with a focus on specialty or artisanal items. They work in retail settings, such as bakeries, gourmet food shops, or specialty food stores, where they prepare a wide range of baked goods and other specialty food items.
What does a retail specialty foods baker do?
A retail specialty foods baker is responsible for crafting and producing a variety of baked goods and specialty food items. They typically prepare items such as bread, pastries, cakes, cookies, artisanal chocolates, and other gourmet treats. They follow recipes, select high-quality ingredients, and use their culinary skills to create visually appealing and delicious products. They may also be involved in product development, creating new recipes, and adapting existing ones to meet specific customer demands or dietary restrictions.
What skills are required to be a retail specialty foods baker?
To excel as a retail specialty foods baker, you should possess strong baking and pastry skills, including knowledge of different techniques, measurements, and ingredients. Attention to detail is crucial to ensure accurate measurements and precise baking times. Creativity and an eye for aesthetics are important for creating visually appealing products. Excellent time management skills and the ability to work efficiently under pressure are also necessary in a fast-paced retail environment.
What qualifications or education do I need to become a retail specialty foods baker?
While formal culinary education or training is not always required, it can be beneficial. Many retail specialty foods bakers acquire their skills through apprenticeships, culinary programs, or on-the-job training. Practical experience in a bakery or similar setting is highly valued. A good understanding of food safety and hygiene practices is essential to ensure product quality and customer safety.
What are the working conditions like for a retail specialty foods baker?
Retail specialty foods bakers typically work in commercial kitchens or bakery sections of retail stores. The environment can be fast-paced and demanding, especially during peak hours or holiday seasons. They may be required to work early mornings, weekends, and holidays to meet customer demands. The work may involve standing for long periods and lifting heavy trays or equipment.
What career opportunities are available for retail specialty foods bakers?
Retail specialty foods bakers can explore various career paths within the food industry. They can advance to supervisory or management roles within a bakery or specialty food store. Some may choose to open their own bakery or start a specialty foods business. Others may pursue roles in recipe development, food styling, or teaching culinary classes. Additionally, there are opportunities to work in the catering industry or transition to other culinary professions.