kulturweit tandem – the new exchange programme tandem invites people from african countries and germany to explore the history of colonialism from different perspectives and to engage with our postcolonial present. you will develop projects in the fields of culture, education and sustainability that you can implement together in germany.
In the kulturweit Tandem project, two participants – one from an African country and one from Germany – reappraise the history of colonialism and its effects on the present. Together you develop anti-racism projects that you can implement in theatres, museums and schools, in charities, initiatives or companies in Germany.
The programme consists of a two-month language course in your country, a four-week seminar on the African continent and a three-month project phase in Germany. All participants receive financial support and educational guidance.
The first round of the programme will take place between September 2022 and February 2023. You can apply if you live in Germany, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Namibia or Togo. The international seminar will take place in Kenya. Apply between 1 and 18 March 2022!
Through the kulturweit Tandem project, you are making a contribution to a world without discrimination. You will gain international experience, let your creativity run free during the project phase and build a network that you can stay involved with for a long time to come.
The kulturweit Tandem programme is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and is part of the German Government’s catalogue of measures tackling right-wing extremism and racism.
- You can apply for the first round of kulturweit’s Tandem programme if you are of age and live in Germany, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Namibia or Togo.
- You must have a basic knowledge of German as well as French or English. You should have excellent knowledge of one of the three languages.
- Keenness for international exchange
- Curiosity and openness to other people and places
- Sense of responsibility and independence
- Enjoyment of volunteering
- Willingness to commit to full-time work (i.e. 38.5 to 40 hours a week) and to integrate into a team
- Interest in the history of colonialism, postcolonialism and the critique of racism
- Pleasure in project work
kulturweit offers you:
- Coverage of the international and national travel costs for flights or trains to the seminar location and the placement centre and subsidy for the two-month language course
- Accommodation and meals during the international seminar (2022 in Kenya)
- A full-time job for three months in an institution in the cultural, educational or sustainability sector in Germany including monthly pocket money of €750
- International health, liability and accident insurance
- Organisation and implementation of the accompanying educational program
- A contact person at the placement centre
- A contact person for questions about application, selection and placement, visa and security at the German Commission for UNESCO
- Quality assurance and evaluation
What costs will you incur:
- Visa and all associated costs (e.g. travel costs to embassies, consulates or authorities, processing fees, certifications, translations),
- Transfer (bus, train, taxi) to the airport at the place of residence
- All costs that go beyond the monthly subsidy of €750
- For participants from Germany: you will remain covered by your health insurance during the project phase in Germany and may incur additional costs. Please contact us if you have any questions.
How It Works
- To start with, you complete a two-month language course in your home country. You can choose between a German, English or French course.
- The language course is followed by a four-week international seminar in an African country. In the first programme phase from September 2022 to February 2023, the seminar will take place in Kenya. The focus is on the history and effects of colonialism, reappraising the colonialist past and anti-racist work.
- This is followed by a three-month stay together at a placement centre in Germany. You and your tandem partner will be involved in the fields of culture, education and sustainability. You will work together to implement projects on anti-racism, reappraising colonialism and our post-colonial present.
- At the end of the programme you will take part in the evaluation seminar in Germany. Rou will exchange your experiences and adventures along with all other participants.
- All shortlisted people will then receive an invitation to an interview.
- The interviews are expected to take place between 9 and 20 May 2022 via Zoom.
- This is so that we and our partner organisations from Africa can get to know you better. You will then be informed whether your application was successful by mid-June.
Application Deadline: March 18th 2022
For More Information: